Monday, August 29: Deuteronomy 19- What an interesting punishment.

What an interesting punishment. If a malicious witness takes the stand to accuse someone of a crime, the two people involved in the dispute must stand in the presence of the LORD before the priests and the judges who are in office at the time. The judges must make a thorough investigation, and if the witness proves to be a liar, giving false testimony against a fellow Israelite, then do to the false witness as that witness intended to do to the other party. … (16-19).

Do to the false witness as that witness intended to do to the other party. It seems to me that this would be a pretty good deterrent. Instead of simply facing the punishment for perjury, the perjurer receives the punishment that the perjured victim would have received if he/she had been convicted.

Truth telling, especially in court, is important if a society is to function well. How does one enforce truth telling… it prosecutes lying (perjury). With this law God is telling His people how important truth telling in court is.

I have never testified in court so what do I do with this passage?  1) It tells me how much God honors and expects truth telling, not only in court but in life. 2) It begs me to examine my life.   Am I a truth teller or do I s-t-r-e-t-c-h the truth to fit my situation?

Introspection is an important part of maintaining honesty with the Lord.

How are you doing in the truth telling department?

Lord, ‘thou shalt not lie’, pretty much sums up Your view in truth telling. May I honor You in all my speech. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment