Tuesday, August 16: Deuteronomy 8- God gives us the ability.

Wow, a rich word from the Lord today. Strong and straightforward. So many touch points for me. I sat and wondered where should I land? What portion should be my manna today?

Slowly, like an old fashioned Polaroid picture developing, my devotional focus cleared on verses 17-18: You may say to yourself, “My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.” But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today.

It is so easy to have a self-centered view of life, especially when it comes to the good things and successes of life.

I am successful in school…

I am successful at work…

I have made money…

I have provided well for myself, family and children…

Look at me…how hard I have worked, how smart I am, how good at my job I have become. Yeah me. I applaud me. Me, me, me.  I, I, I. It is all about me and how good I am.

The simple reminder from the Lord grows out of verse 18: But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth.

Yes, I may have worked hard and done well in school and so on, but we have to take a step further back. It is the Lord who gave us the brain power and the will power in the first place.

I must never lose sight that everything I have is due to the Lord’s grace to me. Boasting is not good. Pride is not good,  Humility before the Lord is the posture of faith.

Thank You, Lord God, for this very timely and important reminder. I praise Your name… through Jesus, my Lord. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment