Saturday, August 20: Deuteronomy 12- Get rid of other gods.

How serious is the Lord about not worshipping other gods? Very… check out this instruction from the Lord:

Destroy completely all the places on the high mountains, on the hills and under every spreading tree, where the nations you are dispossessing worship their gods. Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and burn their Asherah poles in the fire; cut down the idols of their gods and wipe out their names from those places (2-3).

Destroy any remnants of foreign gods in your land; this is the essence of the command. Don’t leave any trace even of how they did their sacrifices in the land, lest you be corrupted even by their manner of worship.

The Lord is serious… one God worshiped His way and only His way.

So I thought, are there any remnants of false-god worship in my home? None that I am aware of. Decades ago, shortly after becoming a Believer, a friend warned me about things like Ouiji boards and anything that might be tainted by occult practices. So I burned one I found in a mound of games in my house.

In later years I have accompanied people when they asked for our prayer teams to pray through their homes. Occasionally we have seen artifacts of other gods and religions that we suggested they rid from their houses. These are mostly trinkets purchased on vacations and though they carried no religious significance for the people, they are representations of gods other than the Lord. Hearing Moses’ injunctions, I believe it is wise to rid our lives of anything that might smack of gods other than the Lord.

Fidelity to the Lord, is my desire, down to the removal of potential hindrances…

Lord, I pray that my life brings You honor and glory. Lord, prepare me today for worship of You tomorrow. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment