Saturday, August 27: Deuteronomy 18-The occult.

This is not a particularly devotional topic, but for some reason this paragraph seemed to command my attention as I read my daily chapter.

When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD; because of these same detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. You must be blameless before the LORD your God (9-13).

It seems strange but these kinds of practices seem to be growing in my culture. Whether it is serious involvement, dabbling or something ‘fun’ to do I cannot say. And likely this will vary from person to person. Reading this passage, any involvement, even the mildest involvement, is categorically forbidden by the Lord. They are detestable to the Lord.

I don’t know of anyone who has sacrificed a son/daughter in the fire; but new age influences are growing. Things like finding your energy or spirit guides are growing in influence in my culture. So the concern Moses raises has its connections to my world.

Bottom line, Moses says NO involvement. In words and behaviors that would make sense to people I know, no dabbling with horoscopes, taro card readings, going to spiritist fairs, reiki healing or meditation in the eastern, sense of emptying oneself and the like. These behaviors are not benign; they open doors to God’s enemy who is masquerading behind these kinds of behaviors.

The Lord expects fidelity from His followers and these kinds of behaviors are affairs with the devil that can only lead to trouble. The Lord is warning us, giving us a guardrail we should not cross.

Think about it…

Lord, give me eyes to see the subtle inroads of Your enemy in my world.  Help me to wall off any personal involvement and then give me appropriate words for warning for others. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment