Wednesday, August 10: Deuteronomy 3- An invitation to be real.

I saw a number of lessons in verses 23-27 from today’s chapter.

At that time I pleaded with the LORD: “Sovereign LORD, you have begun to show to your servant your greatness and your strong hand. For what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do the deeds and mighty works you do? Let me go over and see the good land beyond the Jordan—that fine hill country and Lebanon.”

But because of you the LORD was angry with me and would not listen to me. “That is enough,” the LORD said. “Do not speak to me anymore about this matter. Go up to the top of Pisgah and look west and north and south and east. Look at the land with your own eyes, since you are not going to cross this Jordan. …”

God allows, even invites, us to ask anything of Him. Living in relationship with the Lord, He wants us to come to Him with whatever burdens our heart. Moses pleaded with the Lord to change His mind and allow Moses to go into the Promised Land. I am touched by the text, which says I pleaded with the Lord… Moses knew what the Lord had said. This was not disobedience but prayer grew out of all God was doing and Moses’ longing to see the great works of the Lord. And so he prayed, he begged, he pleaded.

Second, I notice that God listens.  However, when He has heard enough He will say so or end the conversation, as He did with Abraham in Genesis 18:33. God can and will say “Enough.” And wisdom teaches us that is when we are to stop pleading. Paul pleaded three times with the Lord… (2Cor 12:8); not 4 times, not 5. Paul pleaded but when God answered, even though the answer was not what Paul wanted to hear, Paul accepted God’s response. Moses accepted the Lord’s response here.

Three, God answers and Moses accepted God’s answer even though it wasn’t what he desired.

Four, in this case God showed some grace even though His judgment didn’t change. I love the way the Lord allowed Moses to go up the mountain to see the land, even though He didn’t allow Moses’ feet to touch the land. Even in a ‘NO’ God can and sometimes does give us grace. To Paul in 2Cor 12:9 God said “My grace is sufficient for you…” God did not heal Paul but reminded him of His grace.

As I meditate on these thoughts, I am realizing anew how much the Lord desires for us to live in relationship with Him. And true relationship involves honest communication. God doesn't want us to hide our desires from Him but to express them remembering, of course, that God can and often does say ‘No’. After all God is God and we are not!

I am reminded that God invites me to come to Him, to sit in His lap, to be real and honest with Him.

What a gift we have in Jesus… an open and full relationship with the God of the Universe.

This morning God is bidding me to come to Him…

God is biding you to come to Him, too.

Oh, Lord God, thank You that I can bring my full self to You and even when You will not grant my desires –and You know best Lord –You still delight when I come to You. You love me and will give me what is best. I know that and I believe You.

Praise to You, Lord God. I am Yours, delightfully Yours. Use me as You will, grant me what You will, that I may serve You all the days of my life until You usher me into Your eternal kingdom. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment