Tuesday, August 9: Deuteronomy 2- Living at God's command.

As I read through this chapter the first thought that came to me was “living at God’s command.”

During the 40 years of wilderness wanderings, Israel was learning to live at God’s command. For 38 years they traveled around the hill country of Seir. When God lifted His presence from the tabernacle they moved, when His presence descended they stayed. They went where He led… no more, no less. They went where God directed.

Then when the faithless generation died off God directed them north. Twice during the first days north God clearly told them not to attack Moab or the Amorites. Why? Because God had sworn to Esau and Lot that He would give them land and these were the lands and peoples who came from them. In fact, they were even to pay Moab for food eaten and water used.

But when they came to Sihon, they were to fight and destroy that people and take their land, animals and cities. This was the first stage of conquest. It was also a time for the Israelites to learn to fight, something they would have to do a lot once they crossed the Jordan.

What I realized, as I read this, is that Israel was learning to listen to the Lord and do what He said to do… not what their human inclinations told them to do.

As I thought about this I realized that they were learning the essence of the life of faith… they were learning how to hear God’s voice and obey it.

And this is the basic issue for every believer… to learn, to discern the voice of the Lord and then to obey.

For 40 years I have been reading the Bible. Part of my desire is to learn the Word of God. But another part was to become so familiar with the voice of the Lord that I can discern when He is speaking directly to my spirit. This is the first step of faithful following. The second is to obey when God speaks.

I am growing better at this, but I still have a long way to go…

How are you doing at discerning and obeying the voice of the Lord?

Oh, God help me learn… help me grow. Holy Spirit, be my teacher and guide, especially when I am weak willed and don’t want to obey, spur me on to faithfulness. Kick me in the butt if need be… wake me up that I will obey You.

This is my prayer in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment