Saturday, July 31: 1Kings 4-Managing your life.

This chapter is a summary of Solomon and the organization of his life. It is not particularly stimulating reading from a devotional or historical perspective. It is a list of deputies, assistants, cabinet members and provisions. There is mention of topics that Solomon studied as well.

As I mused this snapshot of his life, the thought occurred to me. He managed his life and kingdom well. He governed with wisdom, he studied science (nature) and he wrote proverbs about life and how to live life. Solomon was what we might call a ‘renaissance man’, displaying uncharacteristic wisdom in many areas of life. God truly lived up to His promise of wisdom for Solomon.

Beyond that, Solomon managed his life well.  Somehow he was able to govern a nation, study nature and contemplate life in order to write proverbs. Solomon lived a full and a productive life.

From this grew a whisper in my soul… “Bill, are you managing your life well? I am not asking you to be a Solomon but I have given you abilities, talents, circles of influence.  Are you operating well in those circles? Is My agenda being advanced? Are you making a difference for good in your world, MY world?”

And so, I spent some time thinking about the life God has graced me to live and whether I am living it well… for God.

Lord, as I pause to pray, I think of the word ‘steward’. I am Your steward. You have requested that I labor in Your kingdom. I pray, Lord, that I am hearing Your instructions about what to do clearly and that I am fulfilling Your directives effectively. I love You, Lord God, and I want to serve You and bring honor to Your name. In and through Jesus I pray, Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment