Monday, January 3: Acts 5- Dedication to their call.

 

So much happening in this one chapter, that I have enough ponder points for a full week. After thoughtfully reading the full chapter, I sat and pondered.  Where is God speaking to me today? This word and that sentence surfaced, but nothing stuck. After more thought, I began to ponder the whole rather than smaller bits and pieces.

God’s inner voice began to speak. I found myself astonished at the dedication of the apostles. Here are some of the observations I began to make.

They had a willingness to confront wrong within their “family”, the church. There are not many followers of Jesus, yet. Yes, 3,000 came to faith on Pentecost and others along the way. But that’s it.  That’s everyone who believes in Jesus. They are a small dot on the landscape of Jerusalem. Then one day, a couple pull a rouse. Informed by the Holy Spirit, Peter confronts Ananias and later Sapphira, publically. Maybe I am alone in this but I don’t like to confront people, people I love and worship with, when a wrong surfaces. Peter, however, willingly and for the sake of the entire body, confronts their lying. Dedication to the call…

Peter and the apostles continue to go about their business of witnessing to Jesus and one day they are arrested. Thrown in jail, they are miraculously released at night.  They were also told not to flee for safety or to go home and get rest, since it had been a long day. No, the angel tells them, "Go, stand in the temple courts and tell the people the full message of this new life" (20). They are told to get back out there and preach some more. It doesn’t take super intelligence to guess what will happen when those who arrested them, the first time, find out they escaped and are preaching/healing again! Dedication to the call…

Arrested again and ordered to stop, Peter defies the leaders, “We must obey God rather than men” (29). Dedication to the call…

They would have been executed were it not for the voice of a wise leader, Gamaliel (who by the way was Paul’s rabbi –might Paul have been present learning from his rabbi???). Instead they were flogged then released. Upon their release the text comments: The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name. Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ (41-42). Dedication to the call…

I am awe struck by their dedication to Jesus and His call. Their dedication challenges me and asks of me, “Am I willing to be that dedicated to Jesus and His call? Am I?”

Lord, that question is not easy to answer. My puffed up ego would like to answer ‘Yes, of course.’ But as I examine my life, I cannot find evidence that would support that answer. Lord, all I can do is fall before Your mercy and call out for courage and the power of the Holy Spirit to transform this life of mine. Oh, Jesus, help me in my unbelief and in my inadequate dedication. Amen.

 

History nugget, a flogging: leather thongs made into whips were beaten against the bare, upper body of the bound prisoner. The prisoner would be made to kneel, then the triple-strap whip would be beaten across both chest and back, with two beatings on the back for every one on the chest.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment