Wednesday, January 19: Acts 19- Jesus is THE way

Reading today, the big picture rather than individual incidents, seems to link onto my ponderings. What I saw was that Jesus is THE way of salvation. Paul was constantly meeting people where they were religiously/spiritually and attempting to move them to belief in Jesus. Sometimes he experienced success, other times ridicule or even persecution but his ‘modis operendi’ was to have people change from their present belief to belief in Jesus.

In verses 1-4 he meets some purported disciples.  Through conversation, Paul learns that they know of John not Jesus.  He instructs them in the way of Jesus and they are baptized with water and the spirit and the church is born in Ephesus. Paul was determined to make sure they had the whole truth and understood Jesus…

Supported by these dozen disciples of Jesus, Paul spends 2 years in Ephesus preaching to Gentiles and Jews the way of Jesus. Some believe, others malign the Way, miracles occur and so does persecution.  Paul never changes his message. It is all about Jesus, not Artemis, not Judaism… Jesus is the only way of salvation.

Where the Spirit nudged me next was all about how to live this truth in my 21st century world where ‘pluralism’ is the buzz word. God is gently reminding me that I have to discover ways to penetrate my pluralistic society with the message of Jesus.  And, yes, some people will reject Jesus, others will reject and even malign me.  No matter what comes my way, I should be displaying a Christ like character and attitude.

This, I suspect, will not be easy for me…

Lord, I need Your help. The nudges of the Holy Spirit are uncomfortable. They push me beyond my comfort zone in so many areas. One comfort I take in all this is that I know I cannot do this on my own, I know I need You and Your strength and much growth to begin to grow in this direction. And all I can do now is cry,” Help me, Lord, Help me”… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment