Thursday, January 27: Acts 26- proving our repentance...

This is the third time Luke has recorded Paul explaining his conversion testimony. This time Paul uses it as his ‘defense’ against the Jews. Paul also appears to be using his conversion story to influence King Agrippa to become a Christian.  Ahh, the power of our testimony.

One sentence by Paul particularly caught my attention. Throughout the centuries, believers have wrestled with the role of ‘good works’ in salvation and the life of a believer. Paul provides straight forward insight concerning the role of ‘good works’ in Verse 20 … I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds.

According to Paul, turning to God and repentance will result in good deeds. Good works result from a changed and repentant heart.  Our deeds don’t merit or earn us salvation, they are the proof, the result of a redeemed life.

I love it when key elements of the Christian faith are stated so plainly…

Jesus said it this way; By their fruit you will recognize them. … (Matthew 7:16).

As I steep in this thought for a few minutes, a self-examining question fills my thoughts, “Ok Bill, what fruit are you producing? Do your deeds show you to be a Christ-follower?” I believe it was Lloyd Ogilvie who asked it this way; “If you were on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?”

Lord, do my deeds prove my repentance? Speak with me Lord, show me if and how and where I can improve my Christ-living. May You receive glory, Lord, through my life and my living… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment