Wednesday, January 5: Acts 7- Knowing God's story.

As I read Stephen’s defense to the Sanhedrin, I kept thinking about how well he knew scripture history. Stephen recounts for his hearers, God’s story of redemption beginning with Abraham and continuing though the prophets all the way to Jesus.

Listening to his keen understanding of God’s workings and man’s rebellion, I understand why the church called Stephen “a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit” (6:5) and “a man full of God’s grace and power” (6:8). Stephen saturated his life with the word of God!

How well do I (do you) know God’s story? Can I (you) speak it with clarity and poignancy?

Lord, help me to hide Your word in my heart. Give me diligence to read and study Your word. Send the Holy Spirit to be my teacher, not only so I know the facts but so that I can apply Your word to the many and various situations of my life.

Lord, may Your word be a lamp for my feet and a light for my path (Ps 119:105). Like David, may I desire Your word more than gold, may it be sweeter to me than honey from the honeycomb (Ps 19:10 adapted). In Jesus’ name I make my plea. Amen. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment