Saturday, January 8: Acts 10- Even on Gentiles

It is hard to grasp in the 21st century the radical nature of the events we have just read… a devout Jew entering the home of a Gentile. Other devout Jews (Peter’s companions) watching as God crosses the largest religious gulf one can imagine in order to bring the good news of Jesus. We read this account as if one neighbor crossed the street to another but it is so much more. I am struggling to construct a modern equivalent.

As my heart listens to this story, the Spirit is saying to me there is no human division which Jesus does not seek for His followers to cross for the gospel’s sake.

Crossing barriers requires sincerity. Peter’s heart needed to be changed first before he could venture into the home of a Gentile with sincerity. God did this through miraculous intervention but Peter brought friends along. Think about it.  These men did not have the benefit of a divine-vision, they only had the testimony of a trusted Christ-follower leader.

I, you as a reader  of this devotional and Christ-followers today, fit better into that second category. Few of us will have visions from the Lord that change our hearts and direct us to cross some specific human-constructed barrier with the gospel. But all of us have the example of Peter and the testimony of believers throughout the ages, who have sought with humble hearts to take the gospel to the world, including people with whom they were at one time enemies…

Think about it, I will…

Lord, my heart needs so much more work.  It is still corrupted by prejudice and fear of people I do not know and these, I realize, are barriers for me to speak about Jesus with others. Work on my heart, change it. Change me, that I may have courage and obedience, like Peter, to go and speak about Jesus with all You bring in my path. In Jesus name and for the sake of the advancement of the gospel, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment