Wednesday, January 12: Acts 13- Stepping out.

Saul (Paul) and Barnabas are with a bunch of leaders fasting and worshiping God when God, the Holy Spirit, called them to be apostolic missionaries. This is a new adventure. This is something never done before by the church, and what I love is Barnabas and Saul’s response, “Let’s go!”

Now those words aren’t actually in the Bible but that is what they do. The text says that the group prayed for Barnabas and Saul, then comes verse 4: The two of them, sent on their way by the Holy Spirit, went down to Seleucia and sailed from there to Cyprus.

I just love that! God called and they responded immediately, “Let’s go!” I am convinced that they have no idea into what God is leading them.  However, they know and trust God. He said. “Go!” and so they went! What wonderful examples of faithfulness.

Not many of us will be called by God to be apostolic missionaries but God will call each of us to do things that stretch us. That’s where this text is leading me to meditate.

What, God, are You calling me to do… ???  As I contemplate this more I find another question filtering through my thoughts, “What is the growing edge of my faith (?) and how can I step out in that arena of my life???”

Lord, lead me and call me to deeper faith and more committed living for You. And, Lord, even as You call, spur me on to the faith of Barnabas and Paul who stepped out right away after You called them. Help me to grow that kind of faith … In Jesus’ name and for the sake of gospel advance, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment