Thursday, January 13: Acts 14- A plan for gospel advance

Two separate phrases jumped out at me and provided the spark for my devotional musings and prayer.

The first came in the very first verse.  It was the two-word phrase “as usual’: Paul and Barnabas went as usual into the Jewish synagogue. It caused me to realize that this duo had a plan or routine for spreading the gospel in their travels. From that realization, I jumped to my life and had a conversation with myself, which I believe was guided by the Spirit.

It started when I posed the question to myself, “Do I have a plan for spreading the gospel?”

“No, I don’t,” came my internal reply.

Defensiveness kicked in and I thought, “But I’m not an apostolic-missionary.”

To which I sensed a reply, “But we are all to be witnesses to Jesus and His resurrection…”

I was convicted by my own dialogue. I could be doing more to be effective in my living for Jesus. Maybe I should develop my own “as usual”…

After this I returned to reading the text and my second ‘a-ha’ came in verse 22, strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. Paul and Barnabas said, "We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God".

It was Barnabas and Paul’s words that made me sit up and take notice. We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God. My first reaction was, “I don’t like that.” Next I thought through my 26+ years of preaching, I don’t think I ever said that or an equivalent. Then I wondered, “Why?” And one of the places I went in my wonderings was to Christianity in America.  Are we too soft? Have we lost the missionary/witnessing edge that brings us into conflict with others? Have we settled for a faith that is timid so we don’t have to endure hardships? That thought just kept turning over and over in my head. I couldn’t let go of it and neither could I answer it. I was left stewing in the juices of that thought… wondering what changes are You birthing in my life, O Lord?

Lord, what changes are You birthing in my life? Lord, how can I take today’s gleanings and apply them to my life?  Lead me and teach me, O Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment