Friday, August 19: Proverbs 27-

Any number of Proverbs provided stopping and thinking points this morning.  There were great words about friends (6, 9, 10, 17) and the potent Proverb about the heart reflecting the man (19). Thought provoking as each of these was for me, it was ‘21’ that latched on and wouldn’t let go: The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but man is tested by the praise he receives.

As I was reading this Proverb, the last three words took me by surprise. I was anticipating the punch line to be “tested by the criticism he receives.” I thought with all the previous Proverbs about fools not accepting correction, surely the punch line would be criticism or counsel or correction… or something like that.

I was wrong and I suspect that is why it stuck. I had to ponder it… hmmm, praise tests a man. Here are some of my musings that emerged.

I may or may not accept the correction of a friend or wise counsel and I am the better or worse for my decision. True. But praise slips beneath defenses, it flatters the heart and it can corrupt the soul if I begin believing my “press notices.” Some praise comes as an honest ‘thank you’ for things done well. Some praise comes as the sugar coating on a ‘suck-up’ wanting something. Question is, what happens within me when praise comes?

  • Does it go to my head?
  • Does it sour my heart (often a big headed person has a sour heart treating other people as less)?
  • Does it taint my soul?

Praise can do each of those … think about it.

Lord, it feels good when I do things right and praise comes my way. Do I simply suck it in or do I (quietly) remember to thank You for the gifts and abilities You have given? Some praise is the prelude to a ‘suck up’ Do I discern well? Do I seek the wisdom of the Holy Spirit to know the difference?  Lord, help me to guard my heart, because my heart reflects who I truly am within. And my heart is the best gift I can give back to You, my Lord. And I long for it to be as pure as possible a gift to You. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment