Tuesday, August 16: Proverbs 24- Priorities

As I begin my meditations, I find myself attracted to verse 27. The reason is not immediately obvious but my eyes and thoughts are drawn to those words… O, Holy Spirit, what is it in that verse that You have for me?

The Proverb reads: Finish your outdoor work and get your fields ready; after that, build your house. In an agrarian society with changing seasons, a person has only limited time to prepare fields and grow a harvest. If you miss the growing widow, you will miss your harvest opportunity for the year. Farming is also labor intensive and far more so in the days of this Proverb when there was no mechanization. Maybe oxen might help you plow, but planting, weeding, fertilizing, harvesting, culling, etc. were done by hand. You can live in a tent, prevalent in Palestine a solid structure house is not essential, especially in the milder growing season.

As I consider this Proverb, it seems to speak about priorities…..doing what is important and essential for future welfare before you spend time and resources on what is nice and desirable but not essential.

Priorities… think long term not short-term gratification.

There are so many applications of this Proverb… applications to marriage, to child rearing, to healthy financial management, to…

Lord, what is my application point? Lord, where in my life do I need to evaluate my priorities and readjust my priorities? Show me, Jesus. Show me, Holy Spirit… that I might live a life wisely and fully devoted to You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment