Thursday, August 25: Isaiah 1- Hypocrisy. God will have none of it

Pius religious actions; anything but in living… God detests hypocrisy. His stinging rebuke in verses 11-17 caught my attention:

"The multitude of your sacrifices-- what are they to me?" says the LORD. "I have more than enough of burnt offerings, of rams and the fat of fattened animals; I have no pleasure in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats. When you come to appear before me, who has asked this of you, this trampling of my courts? Stop bringing meaningless offerings! Your incense is detestable to me. New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations-- I cannot bear your evil assemblies. Your New Moon festivals and your appointed feasts my soul hates. They have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them. When you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide my eyes from you; even if you offer many prayers, I will not listen. Your hands are full of blood; wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight! Stop doing wrong, learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.

Israel kept the rituals, sacrifices, prayers, celebrations, but neglected the heart-change living that was to accompany these religious observances. With heart transformation and how-I-live follow through, religious sacrifices and rituals are worthless.

Stop bringing meaningless offerings! … Stop doing wrong, learn to do right!

There you have it, the essence of God’s Word through Isaiah to His people.

My heart pounds.  God’s hasn’t changed. That is still what God desires!

The Spirit’s voice floods my mind, “So, Bill, consider your own life. How are you doing? Playing religion or living for Me? Which is it???”

O, God, search me and know my inner being. Purge anything wicked, any pretense or hypocrisy from me. Let me first be honest before You and others, then let me be faithful. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment