Wednesday, August 17: Proverbs 25- Self-control

The big picture is what speaks to me today. Ringing in my ears is the word ‘self-control,’ the ability to act based on thought rather than impulse, to understand that life is far more than the present or the moment.

A King searching out matters takes resilience and self-control (2). Not to jockey for the prime seating but rather wait for the king to bring up forward takes self-control and patience (6-7). To enjoy just enough honey but not so much that you get sick, takes self-control (16). And to hold back from annoying your neighbor also takes self-control (17). And so I observed self-control as a prime character trait in the background of many Proverbs as I read this morning.

Self-control… the ability to act based on thought rather than impulse, to understand that life is far more than the present or the moment.

I brought my thoughts around to myself. How am I with regard to self-control?  A mixed bag, I am forced to admit. Some areas of life I have it, others I don’t…

The final Proverb of the chapter was the topper: Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control (28).

Lord, Your New Testament says that self-control is one of the Fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5:22-23). Clearly my vineyard needs pruning to produce a better crop of self-control. Prune away. I pray this out of allegiance because I know that pruning can sting. But, Lord, from my head I know that pruning produces the best crop and I am at Your service and Your bidding.  Do what You know is best to shape me into the faithful man You desire me to be.

Father, this is my morning prayer, prayed in Jesus’ name and through the agency of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment