Saturday, August 6: Proverbs 16- So easy to rationalize.

All a man's ways seem innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the LORD (2).

There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death (25).

It is so easy to rationalize. We humans have this uncanny ability to rationalize almost any conclusion. I’ve done it and do it. You’ve done it and do it. We all do. What can we do about it?

I can conjuror two solutions. 1) The counsel of others and 2) an objective truth against which to weigh my ways.

Proverbs, I believe, would agree with these solutions. Over and over and over again Proverbs lauds wise counsel.  For example, Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed (15:22).  Yep, that fits with solution #1. And then there is the often reiterated refrain, ‘the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom’, which fits pretty well with #2 (as does Psalm 119).

Now the internal questions flourish, how am I doing? How are you doing?  Do you seek wise counsel and build your life on the objective truth of God’s Word?

Personally, I think applying both is significantly safer that one or the other alone.

Think about it… I know I am

Lord, help me to live in ways that honor You. Search my heart, weigh my motives and correct me as necessary. This I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment