Monday, August 1: Proverbs 11- At the core of my soul?

The resounding question that pounds within me from this chapter is, “What’s at the core of my soul?” There was not a single Proverb that asked that question but as I moved through these sayings, that question began forming. Words, honesty, integrity, comments to neighbors, righteous living, these were some of the specific topics addressed but the accumulating effect was, “What’s at the core of my being?”

For example verse 28 states, Whoever trusts in his riches will fall, but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf. The thrust pierces to ones foundation and life pillar. Is it money, riches and power or is it righteousness and right living before God? That’s really a core question.  A person pursuing $$$ is more likely to skirt ethical boundaries or outright break them because gaining $$$ is the goal. Sadly, we have seen this too often in our 21st century world of late.

So I am back to thinking about by my core.  Is my goal, is the drive of my life, right living before God? I can answer it simply from the surface or go deeper still. The latter I believe is wiser.

You may want to go deeper into your core as well…

I join David in praying, “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting” (Psalm 139:23-24).  In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment