Monday, August 8: Proverbs 17- Home = sanctuary

Most often I find Proverbs describing the destination rather than the route to the destination. Take for example verse 1: Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife. This Proverb and ones like it have popped up a number of times so far in my reading and it grabbed my attention this morning. But the Proverb itself doesn’t tell me how to achieve a home of peace and quiet, instead it praises a home of peace and quiet.

I found myself thinking about those characteristics that lead toward a home full of peace and quiet and devoid of strife…

Here’s my incomplete list: contentment, love, faithfulness, laughter, fun, enjoyment, time spent together, encouragement, positive outlooks, friendship, liking one another, healthy touch, dreams, basic necessities, gentleness, self control, patience… the more I thought about it the more nuanced and long my list grew.

The questions for me that grew from all this is how do I cultivate these attributes? Are some more fundamental than others? I don’t have answers only more wonderings…

The more I think about this, the more my wonderings are viewed in a great light.  What could be healthier than contemplating what characteristics and life-attributes will foster peace and harmony in my home? That’s a good thing…

Lord, it occurred to me that the above attributes are also ones that are Christ-like, so those life characteristics that will help my home grow more and more harmonious are also one that mirror more and more closely Jesus Christ, my Savior. Hmmm, interesting how this works.

Thank You, Lord, for Your truth. By Your grace and with Your help, I want to grow to be a man that pleases You and lives for You and lives like You. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment