Wednesday, August 24: Proverbs 31-

A third voice speaks Proverbs, King Lemuel instructs his son. Oh, that leaders everywhere would pay attention to these words. The world would be a better place.

Though not a governor of people, verses 8-9 pierced me. I don’t need to be a government official to incorporate theses words into my life. "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."

Jesus was a champion of the poor and people in need, just read Luke’s gospel. Luke brings this out more than other gospel writers. Paul instructs care for the poor and needy and even directed an offering for Jerusalem hard hit by a famine (1Cor 16; 2Cor 8-9). Peter and the early church saw to the weekly care and feeding of widows (Acts 6). James, apostle and brother of Jesus, taught that pure religion was to keep oneself pure and to take care of widows and orphans (1:27)

I never expected that verse to roll out of my memory like sawdust out of my chain saw.

Care for those in need, orphans, widows, poor, disenfranchised, …

Lord what would you have me do? Seriously, Lord, is there something specific You want me to do as a result of today’s readings and meditations? Or is today for general growth purposes and You will give me some specifics at a later time? Who can I help, Lord?... teach me, show me. In and through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment