Friday, March 21: Colossians 4- Praying for Advance.

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone (2-6).

Over the past couple of weeks we have listened as Paul prayed. Today Paul calls us to pray. The word ‘devote’ could also be translated, ‘to attend constantly.’ Work at prayer, persist in prayer, practice prayer regularly and even constantly… that’s Paul’s point.

I get the impression that Paul has a deeper understanding of the efficacy of prayer than I do. It seems that Paul understand the importance of intercessory prayer. Immediately on the heels of Paul’s imperative to pray, he invites prayer for his evangelistic work. Paul asks that his friend marshal all the prayer possible so that he might proclaim strongly and effectively the name of Jesus.

This caused me to think how the church and I should be more fervent in prayer of this kind for the missionaries we support. Prayer opens doors, prayer provides strength, and prayer delivers clarity for men and women on the front lines of reaching the world for Christ.

At this point Paul reminds all of us that we are to be about Gospel living and sharing as well. Advancing the message of Jesus is not only for the missionary and evangelist.

As my musing on the text continues, I am taken back to Paul’s prayer injunction…

Lord, increase my understanding of prayer, to the end that I pray more and more effectively. Please. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment