Wednesday, March 19: Colossians 2- Lord, change my heart.

Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence (20-23).

I was attracted to those last words, which I underlined. Laws, rules, regulations do set boundaries but Paul is absolutely right. They do not restrain the human heart. When God says that the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked (see Jeremiah 17:9) God is telling the truth. Laws might curb some behavior but they do not curb the heart.

Paul is pushing this truth to a new place in Christian living. I don’t think Paul’s point is that we should not have restraint. We do need restraint, but restraint is best when it grows from a changed heart and only God can change a heart.

This brought me to the need of prayer… Oh, how I need God to change my heart… and for that I must petition the Lord.

Pray with me if you, too, need the Lord to change your heart.

Oh, Lord God, help me. My heart is deceitful above all things. I need Your Holy Spirit to come, Father, and work His wonder and life change in me. I cannot change by myself. I desperately need You, Lord, to work in me. Come Father, Son and Holy Spirit, change my heart to be more and more like You. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment