Tuesday, March 11: Ephesians 5- Don't be this, be this.

I found myself stuck on verse 3, chewing, thinking, digesting this straightforward word from the Lord. But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.

How much stronger could Paul put it, there must not be even a hint

·         Of sexual immorality

·         Impurity

·         Greed (covetousness).

How basic is this. And yet what are three of the prevailing problems in most cultures: sexual immorality, impurity (physical or moral uncleanness) and greed –not simply for money but also power and just about anything a person could want more of.

I found myself thinking about opposite attributes that we would display if we didn’t have those bad traits named.

God wants us to always be sexually pure, one , one woman in marriage for life. And if I take Jesus at His Word, this means sexually pure in thought as well as body.

God wants us to be pure… of heart, mind, motive and action. Imagine what the world or even the church would be like if we all were truly pure of heart, mind, motive and action. Nice…

God wants us to be content with what we have and if I push this a bit, generous toward those in need with what we have.

Lord, I am a long way from this command. Oh, how I need Your power. Help me, Lord… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment