Saturday, March 22: Luke 1- Thank you Theophilus.

As I read the opening words of Luke’s gospel, I found myself thanking the Lord for Theophilus and Luke. Why you might wonder? First listen to the opening. Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught (1-4).

If it wasn’t for Luke’s and Theophilus’ friendship, we wouldn’t have this amazing account of ourSsavior! Maybe Luke led Theophilus to the Lord. Maybe Luke was discipling Theophilus Maybe they were just good friends. We don’t know the extent of their relationship. But what we do know is that Luke penned his gospel in part because he wanted to give Theophilus an orderly account of Jesus’ life and ministry, so that Theophilus would have a certainty about what he had been taught as a follower of Jesus.

And Luke’s gift to Theophilus has been a gift to the church throughout the centuries!

We may never know how the seeds of faith live on after we sow them?

I can think of retreat speakers from college years and speakers at Urbana in 1976 who made a faith-deposit in my life, which is still growing today. They likely have no clue the affect they had on me.

It is amazing to me what God can do with a faith seed sown!!!

And this caused me to ponder the ways I sow faith-seeds and the people who received the faith-seeds sown.

How are you doing sowing seeds of faith in others lives? Think about it.

Lord, I trust You to take my meager offerings and bring from them fruit… fruit that will last. Lord, I pray for this blog, an offering to You. May seeds be sown for Your kingdom… seeds I may never know until I reign with You in Your kingdom.

I pray for my brothers and sisters that together we will sow seeds of faith that will bring Your name to the ends of the earth and thus fulfill Your Great Commandment. May it be so, Lord. Amen. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment