Monday, March 17: Philippians 4- When interpersonal problems arise.

Do fellow believers always get along?

My experience is ‘no’. Sometimes it is me, sometimes it is the other person, most times it is both of us that create the problem. Stuff happens. Just because ‘stuff happening’ is natural, does not mean it is good. So what do we do when interpersonal stuff happens?

Deal with it.

Paul, the writer of Philippians 4, offers great advice in Romans 12:18. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. So practical, do what you can to live peaceably with others. The ‘between the lines’ understanding is that it will not always be possible all by yourself to live peaceably. Like I said, stuff happens.

Here in chapter 4 we see an example of one of these situations between Euodia and Syntyche, both women of tremendous faith and service. Whatever the feud might be, Paul writes the church to see if they can intervene to bring reconciliation.  I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to agree with each other in the Lord. Yes, and I ask you, loyal yokefellow, help these women who have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life (2-3).

Paul’s Spirit-inspired suggestion:

First: To each woman… get over it. See if you can lay your grievances down. This is a helpful word to me. When I get in a roe with someone, can I lay aside my ‘issue’ for the sake of peace and harmony?

Second: to wise and respected others… help these women lay down their grievances. If you are connected, can you help? I don’t think Paul or the Spirit is directing us to be nubby and enter situations where our presence does not belong. But as in this case, which is obviously affecting the larger church… leader/respected person, do something. Try to help them resolve it.

It seems that the Word is reminding us that divisions in the community, even if they are only between two people, hurt the entire community.

God’s not so subtle whisper to me, ‘try to repair your interpersonal breaks’.

Are you (am I) in a situation with someone? Do what you can to repair it. The sooner the better and generally easier it is.

Lord, show me people with whom I need to make amends. And Lord, please give me the humility, strength and unction to do so. In Jesus’ name and for the sake of His body, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment