Thursday, March 27: Luke 5- Wonder of the word.

I love the Gospels, fast paced and action packed. It seems Jesus is always doing something astounding. Oh, those miracles… it must have been amazing to follow and watch Jesus.

Despite my natural draw to the supernatural, this morning I was drawn to the first verse and the power of the Word.

One day as Jesus was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret, with the people crowding around him and listening to the word of God.

Listening to the word of God. Those words rung in my ear as I kept reading. People were drawn to the Word of God. This passage doesn’t mention anything about Jesus’ manner of teaching. And although that might have been part of it (at least it appears so from other passages, He taught as one with authority (Mt 7:29, Mark 11:22)). In this passage it is the content of the word that is the draw. [T]he people crowding around him and listening to the word of God. The attraction was the Word of God… Jesus teaching the Word of God.

I can never go back in time to see Jesus when He was in Palestine, but I can attend to the same Word of God that He gave the people when He was in Palestine. And thanks to the gift of the Holy Spirit, I can have the Spirit of Jesus with me as I attend to the Word of God.

Oh, what a gift these moments in the Word with Jesus are!

Lord, thank You for meeting me today and day after day. As I listen and attend to Your Word, please bring it alive in my soul as you apparently did for the men and women who heard You during Your days in Palestine. I pray in Your name, Jesus. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment