Monday, March 3: Galatians 4- Relationship with God.

Sometimes when describing the Gospel, I (and others) say things ‘like have faith in Jesus and believe in Jesus’ The Bible uses these terms. My thoughts on the last two chapters have been filled with that language because Galatians uses that language.

Other times I use the language of having a ‘relationship’ with God.  The different ways to communicate the Gospel is an attempt to reach the most people with the wonderful message of Jesus Christ. Each language set connects with a different facet of the Gospel message.

Verses 4-7 provide a wonderful understanding of the relational aspect of the gospel. But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons. Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father." So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.

The Gospel proclaims to the world that through faith in Jesus Christ a person is brought into a son*/child/heir relationship with God as Father. We can now call the God of the universe, Abba, Father! Just think about that for a moment. Abba is Aramaic for Father, but with the loving filial overtones of what is meant by ‘Daddy.’ Those who walk with Jesus can call God, the Father, ‘Daddy.’ What could speak more clearly of the relationship God grants us than this?!?!

At this point, I push back from the text and keyboard and simply think, ponder and delight in the gift of being in such close relationship with God that I can (and do) call God ‘Daddy.’ Wow, I invite you to do the same.

Oh, God, what a delight!! You invite me to crawl up onto Your lap, squeeze into Your arms and be with You, speak to You, to simply feel the security and delight of Your presence holding me, protecting me and watching out for me. I am safe with You, Lord, God. I am safe in Your everlasting arms.

Thank You for calling me into this relationship with You. Thank You for offering me (us) sonship and a place with You as Your beloved.

Thank You, Daddy. Thank You, Father. I love You. Amen.

 

*I hope the sonship language isn’t a barrier for you to hear the wonderful message of God’s Love. The NT writers use ‘son’ language because in their day the son inherited property of the father. And the son bore the father’s name. Using ‘son’ language was the obvious way to communicate the incredibly close connection God brings a person into when any person puts her or his faith in Jesus Christ. What the laws and culture of the day didn’t generally allow for, God saw to, that every person irrespective of gender is brought in a full, life-long, legacy and inheritance producing relationship once they put their faith in Jesus. As Paul wrote in the last chapter, in Christ There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (3:28)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment