Friday, March 28: Luke 6- Prayer and BIG decisions.

In the middle of this incredible chapter filled with much Jesus teaching, there is a single snapshot that gives a glimpse into Jesus’ manner of living.

In verse 12 & 13 we read: One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God. When morning came, he called his disciples to him and chose twelve of them, whom he also designated apostles…

Crowds of people were considered disciples of Jesus (see verse 15) and huge numbers of people from all over came to listen to Him teach and to be healed by Him. And out of His throngs of followers, Jesus was going to appoint some to be apostles, sent ones.

Did He make lists and perform a pro vs. con analysis? I don’t know. Did He get references for the probable candidates? Probably not. In fact the only thing we do know that He did, was to pray. In fact, the text says He spent the night praying to God. Then come morning, He chose his 12 apostles.

Jesus gave significant time to prayer about His choice before He made His choice….

It seems like such a natural act for Jesus, to spend a night with his Father and to talk over the choice of the 12.

Prayer, talking with God, is a powerful connection with the Almighty.

I find myself wondering why I don’t exhibit a prayer life like Jesus did…

Lord, do I think I can make important decisions by myself? Lord, do I not understand the power and connection prayer avails? Am I too lazy to spend a night or significant time alone with You in prayer? Am I so used to constant talking and radio and music and such that I have no space for quiet conversation with You?

Lord, I don’t know the answers to my questions. But I know that I am feeling inadequate compared to the example Jesus, my Lord, set. Lord, I have so much to learn about prayer. Help me. Teach me. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment