Friday, September 12: Nehemiah 4- Opposition will come.

No great task is easily accomplished. All kinds of oppositions, distractions, and discouragements will arise. Some may be intentionally planned by people who want us to fail. Others issues will pop up, issues we didn’t foresee. Life is like that.

The question is not “will difficulties come?” The question is, “will we have the wisdom and fortitude to deal with them when they do come?”

This is especially true when it comes to things of God’s kingdom and the church. God has an enemy, the Devil, who will try to derail and thwart the advance of God’s kingdom at every turn. When we believe God has called us to some task, great or small, we best buckle on God’s armor (Ephesians 6:10-20) and pray for the wisdom and fortitude to deal with whatever will come our way to get us off track or discouraged (Nehemiah 4).

The work of God is a great and noble task, but it is not for the feint of heart. We will be tested. Our metal and our resolve will be tested. Despite this, as we cling to the Lord’s call, we will prevail. God’s plan and purposes, that is, will prevail as we remain connected to the Lord and labor through with His call.

Nehemiah knew this was a work of God, so he kept to the goal even as he adjusted his plan. There is a Word from the Lord here for every Christ follower.

Think about it.

Lord, God, my heart cries, “Give me the fortitude of Nehemiah! Give me the wisdom of Nehemiah! Give me the strength and the sense of call of Nehemiah. Hone my heart to be fortified with iron so that I stay YOUR course in my life, come what may.

Lord, pour me out as a drink offering for Your work and kingdom, I pray, if that best suits Your will. Put me on the front line where the danger is the greatest or put me in the back in some menial task that serves You and Your way best.

Lord, help it to matter to me only that I am serving You, as You ask. I pray through Jesus Christ, my Lord. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment