Tuesday, September 16: Nehemiah 7- characteristics of a Leader.

When you are talking about work for the Lord, kingdom building work, what is the measure of a person one wants in a leadership position? Certainly you want a person with the gifts and abilities suited to the particular position. But what about the person’s character?

Character matters, particularly in the things of God. Nehemiah faced this situation and here is what he looked for.

Verse 2: I put in charge of Jerusalem my brother Hanani, along with Hananiah the commander of the citadel, because he was a man of integrity and feared God more than most people do.

A man of integrity and feared God more than most… that pretty much sums up the character issue for kingdom leadership.

Integrity… am I (are you) a person who is the same no matter who is looking and even when no one is looking? And is that person one who is honorable, loyal and a person of his/her word?

Fear God…am I (are you) a person who is willing to be weighed and measured by the standards God sets in the Scriptures? Does God’s voice, God’s ways, and God’s laws hold sway over you and your decision making more than the ways, voice and customs of the people around you?

These are two character traits God is looking for in His people, and especially in His leaders.

Think about it…

Lord, often my morning prayers are requests for You to mold and shape me into the person You would want me to be. Today is no different. Integrity and fear of You… traits You honor. Traits You delight in. Traits I ask You to build and mold into me. Have Your way in my life. Groom me to be the leader, pastor, person, husband, father You delight in me to be. And Lord, may I be that person for Your honor, glory and the advancement of Your name here on earth. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment