Monday, September 8: Ezra 10- Calling it like it is.

Wow, Ezra laid it straight on the table. He didn’t mince words or soften the blow in any way. “You have been unfaithful; you have married foreign women, adding to Israel’s guilt. Now honor the LORD, the God of your ancestors, and do his will. Separate yourselves from the peoples around you and from your foreign wives” (10-11).

It is both sad and refreshing to read these words. Sad because the people had failed God mightily. Refreshing because a leader stood up and said so…

And Ezra’s words put in motion a move of repentance, a difficult move of repentance!

As a leader I know the pressures that truthfulness like Ezra’s took calls for.

I am not so sure that I have always been so straightforward and truthful…

Forgive me, Lord, if I have fallen short of prophetic truthfulness in my role as pastor. Moving forward give me the heart and courage of Ezra, should I need to speak to issues of sin… and, Lord, keep me from speaking until I have come under the full weight of Your scrutiny first. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

I also know the incredible ability we humans have for justifying our actions, our actions that sin against the Lord. Just look at my denomination, the Presbyterian Church USA; it is one of a number of denominations that are turning their back on the plain meaning of Scripture and millennia of orthodox teaching. Oh, that our denominational officials would call us to repentance rather than lead the charge away from God’s Wword.

Lord, we need an Ezra today. Someone in denominational leadership to stand up and call the church to repentance before You. Send us, Lord, an Ezra for today. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment