Thursday, September 11: Nehemiah 3- Too good to work.

I was struck by verse 5: The next section was repaired by the men of Tekoa, but their nobles would not put their shoulders to the work under their supervisors. In the entire chapter this was the only reference to people who would NOT work.

The nobles from Tekoa would not put their shoulders to the work. “Really,” I thought. “Are you too “good” to work?”

Everyone else is working to build the walls and gates of Jerusalem, but these men won’t join in.

Just the thought of this set me teeth on edge. I cannot image this! Why would they not help?

I thought of Paul’s comment, knowledge puffs up but love builds up (1Cor 8:1). This may not be knowledge but it certainly is privilege and I believe privilege puffs up, too.

The corrective Paul notes in 1Corinthians is love. Did these nobles not love the brethren or love Jerusalem? That’s what I think must be the case.

And that is something I don’t want to be or become… so puffed up that I can’t help move God’s kingdom ahead, no matter the task at hand!

Lord, protect me from becoming puffed up. Better, Lord, help me major in love… love in action. Love in action in practical helpful ways. Please, Lord, fill me with true love for You and for Your family and for Your Church. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment