Friday, September 19: Nehemiah 10- Rededication.

There is nothing new as far as the law and the things the people are to do. What is new is that these people are rededicating their lives to do what God would have them do.

A new day, a new move of God, the start of a New Year or new life season, these are all appropriate times for rededication to the Lord.

I found it interesting that this rededication was highly specific. People knew exactly what they were signing on to do. I also found it fascinating that a number of the rededication points had to do with money. The shekel offering; the giving of first fruits of crops and trees; offering for firstborn of sons and cattle; the firsts of ground meal, grain, new wine, trees and olive oil to the storehouse; and tithes to the Levites in the towns. That’s a lot of offerings.

Reading all of the dedications, and particularly all these financial/monetary aspects, I realized we are not dedicating ourselves to the Lord if we are not offering our finances.

Too often I separate, or at least make a distinction, between offering myself and my money and this it seems is a distinction the Lord does not make…

The words of the old song goes: All to Jesus I surrender all to him I freely give…

All means ‘all’, including my money, comforts, and the like. All means ALL.

Wow, I have enough to chew on here for more than today…

Oh, Lord, very practical, very real, VERY hard-hitting… may I embrace this and all it likely means and not slough it off and dismiss it. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment