Tuesday, September 2: Ezra 5- Honest with ourselves.

The people of God’s honesty about their past impressed me. When queried about building the temple and who authorized them, they gave a fair and honest answer, which began like this:

 “We are the servants of the God of heaven and earth, and we are rebuilding the temple that was built many years ago, one that a great king of Israel built and finished. But because our ancestors angered the God of heaven, he gave them into the hands of Nebuchadnezzar the Chaldean, king of Babylon, who destroyed this temple and deported the people to Babylon (11-12).

It was the second sentence that got me. They were upfront and honest about their past.

I generally don’t like admitting my failures, and sins. I am embarrassed and disappointed with myself and I’d rather look forward. Given their situation, I would likely have left out the sin and angering God part and gone right to the part about Cyrus sending them to rebuild.

I wondered and meditated on what I just wrote. Am I trying to hide my real self from myself? Am I trying to put on airs about my “goodness?” I am not exactly sure and more time will need to be spent examining my inner self.

One realization I did have is that I might be hiding from myself, and other people, the grace God has poured over me. God’s grace took the sinner that I was and redeemed him. God’s grace forgave my sins. God’s grace made me new. And God’s grace continues to do all these things because I am far from perfect. And if I hide from myself who I was, I am missing the wonder of God’s grace…

Grace, grace, God's grace,

Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;

Grace, grace, God's grace,

Grace that is greater than all our sin!

Lord God, thank You for all of Your grace; grace that continually flows into my life. Thank You, Lord. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment