Friday, September 26: Esther 3- Ugly Prejudice.

I have so many thoughts reading this chapter.

How wicked we humans can be. I get that Haman was offended by Mordecai’s behavior. In fact Haman may have been right in his offense at Mordecai, but to brood to the point where it turns it into hatred for Mordecai’s people… now it is a very bad thing.

This is the stuff of racial and cultural hatred we have seen far too often in our world. Too often we see something we don’t like and extrapolate negatively…

Recently I watched part of the movie ‘American History X’. It is a rough movie with foul language and some very horrible situations and scenes. The underlying premise, however, is powerful. Young impressionable white people are sold many half-truths by a manipulating adult leading them into what I would call a ‘Neo-Nazi Cult’ that hates blacks and other groups. The rising star of the group commits a heinous crime and goes to jail. What he experiences there unravels the lies he has been fed and he begins to see where he has been duped.

I can’t call it a redemptive movie. I wouldn’t even recommend it, but it certainly caused me to think… think about the way we can stereotype people and the bad, evil and sin that can grow within us. Haman nurtured this kind of hatred and used his power and influence to destroy the Jews in Persia.

I find myself driven to prayer that I check the “Haman” within me…

Oh, Lord God, I could be Haman. I don’t like to admit this. But the seeds of superiority, mistrust and racial bias are in me, too. Left unchecked, the selfish ego-centric parts of me could run rampant over Your spirit and grace. a I, too, could let hurt, non-understanding and hatred for one or a few expand into hatred for a class, type, or race of people.

Lord, in moments like this I realize how much I need You. Your love, grace and spirit is the only thing that keeps me from devolving into a mess.

I fall before You, praising and thanking You for Your salvation and reclamation of my life.

I offer myself anew to You. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment