Friday, September 5: Ezra 8- Fasting as second resort.

I often imagine certain Bible characters as perfect men or women, somehow less human and more godly than those of us who walk the earth today. And generally these inclinations turn out to be false. The men and women of the Bible come off the pages of the Bible as a mixed bag, just like us.

Today I had one of those glimpses of Ezra. He chose prayer and fasting as a second resort, not a first resort, yet the Lord still came through. Check out verses 21-23:

There, by the Ahava Canal, I proclaimed a fast, so that we might humble ourselves before our God and ask him for a safe journey for us and our children, with all our possessions. I was ashamed to ask the king for soldiers and horsemen to protect us from enemies on the road, because we had told the king, “The gracious hand of our God is on everyone who looks to him, but his great anger is against all who forsake him.” So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer.

Ezra called for a fast because he was ashamed to ask the king for a security detail. Think about that… “God, I don’t want to go to the king, so I will come to You. Help us. Protect us!...” Not the picture of faith that I expected. And still he did turn to the Lord and God did protect.

We are people of mixed motives and we don’t always get to faith and trust in the Lord via a straight line. It seems God’s concern is that we get there, the path apparently is less important than the destination.

Trust God… He will be there for You.

Think about it.

Lord Jesus, I think back to the many times over my life You have showed up in wonderful ways. Sometimes in a surprise or miracle or a friend’s words or a letter in the mail. I sit this morning in the quiet, delighting in the truth that You are with me and have been for years and years. I love You, Lord. And I am so blessed to be part of Your family. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment