Wednesday, September 10: Nehemiah 2- Faith and life do mix!.

Reading this chapter I am reminded why so many business people I know appreciate the books of Ezra and especially Nehemiah. Nehemiah’s story is that of a business-minded, goal driven person accomplishing the task he has in mind.

What caught my eye this morning was the mix of ‘get-things-done’ savvy and prayerful ‘ask-God-for-strength-&-wisdom’ dependence on God. This is a mix I don’t often see running together.

Get-things-done savvy: Nehemiah’s ability to articulate what he needs for the job. He sets a timetable to return and then assesses the situation in Jerusalem before he tells others his task. He is a man who understands what needs to happen. Little surprise that he has risen to cupbearer for the king, a highly trusted position.

Prayerful-ask-God-for-strength-&-wisdom dependence on God: In the last chapter the way he fell before the Lord in prayer and fasting.   Then in today’s, the way he prayed before answering the king. The way the text records it makes it sound as if this is a natural response by Nehemiah. As if this was his very nature and habit… The king said to me, “What is it you want?” Then I prayed to the God of heaven (4)….

I find this mix of faithful connection with the Lord and ‘get things done’ attitude so refreshing. It confirms to me that one can have a deep living faith in Jesus and work effectively in the business world.

Faith and life do mix!

I know that but it is great to see it again affirmed in God’s Word!

Lord, help me to live faithfully in this world… in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment