Friday, October 21: Psalm 130- A gift of forgiveness.

If you, LORD, kept a record of sins, Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness, so that we can, with reverence, serve you. I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope. I wait for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning (3-6).

My heart melted as I read these words. The calluses caused by life felt as if they peeled off. My heart breathed in the truth of the Psalmists’ words.

If you, LORD, kept a record of sins, Lord, who could stand? Certainly I could not stand… sin besets me constantly. Thoughts, actions, motivations, inconsistencies each are constant reminders that I am full of sin. I certainly could not stand before the Lord apart from the blood of Jesus Christ covering my sins

But with you there is forgiveness, so that we can, with reverence, serve you. By God’s love and grace my sin is not the end of the story… God’s forgiveness floods my life. I don’t deserve this. Thanks be to the Spirit!  I open my arms and receive it. Forgiveness... what a gift, like a refreshing shower after a hard day of life. Forgiveness washes my heart and mind and soul. Refreshed I have energy to serve my great and loving King.

I look back at the verse… reverence jumps off the page. I serve with utter reverence for the One who washes me clean, for the one who is greater than all others.

I wait… Oh, I wait for the presence of the Lord confirming the truth of what I have just experienced. The Lord is the difference in life…  He has refreshed my life, drawn me close, forgiven me and loved me.

Is there a better way to begin my day?  I don’t think so.

Thank You, Oh Lord, for this time with You. Thank You for cleaning the scum of sin from my life. Thank You for restoring my soul.

Cleansed, redeemed, forgiven and restored, I pledge to serve You reverently this and every day. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment