Wednesday, October 19: Mark 15- Jesus Son of God.

Mark’s Gospel climaxes with the declaration of the centurion, who cried out when Jesus died, “Surely this man was the Son of God!” (39).

There we have it, the second half of the declaration of who Jesus is. In Mark 8:29 Peter declares that Jesus is the Messiah. And now He is declared to be the Son of God. With this, Mark has fulfilled his opening statement, The beginning of the good news about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God (Mark 1:1).

To acknowledge Jesus is anything short of being God’s Son is to miss the message of the Gospel. Is Jesus a great teacher and rabbi? Yes! Was Jesus a revolutionary? Yes! Was Jesus a prophet and healer? Yes and Yes!

But our declaration of Jesus cannot stop with Him being some great human. He is the Son of God!  This makes all the difference. As John put it in his Gospel, ‘Jesus is God, who became human and dwelt among us’.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. … The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth (John 1:1, 14).

Many people think of Jesus or even revere Him as a great man, even a prophet of God, but Christians believe Jesus is God’s one and only Son.

Today I remind myself that the core of my faith is Jesus… God in human flesh who gave His life to pay the penalty for my sins and the sins of everyone who believes in Him and confesses Him to be Lord of their lives.

Thank You, Father, for showing me the way of Jesus and for sending Your Holy Spirit who guided me to believe. Jesus, I believe You are Lord and God and I will follow Your way and live for You all the days of my life. In Your name Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment