Monday, October 3: Mark 1- Simply because you are you.

 

I never noticed this before. In Mark’s Gospel the very first time we meet Jesus, the Father is affirming Him as His beloved son. Verses 9-11: At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”

At this point in the Gospel Jesus has not done a thing... and yet the Father speaks of how pleased He is with Jesus. You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.

We live in a performance culture. When we perform well, people praise us. Affirmations in our world are usually based on performance. And yet, the Father affirms Jesus before He has done a thing.

Jesus is affirmed by the Father for being, not for doing.

That strikes right to my heart. While I know my parents loved me as unconditionally as humans can, it was always performance that drew praise and affirmation. I cannot think of one time I was affirmed simply for being...

How refreshing it is to listen to the Father bless His son for simply being His son. And I have the distinct impression that our Father God does that for all His children!

God loves me (and you) for being me (and you). Warts and all, God is pleased that I am (and you are) His child.

My heart is melting under the love of the Father.

Oh, Lord, what a wonderful time in Your Word. I am wordless and blessed because I am loved by You and I don’t have to perform for Your love. You love me for me, with all my imperfections.  You still love me!!!

Love for You, Oh Lord, is welling up inside of me... I am Yours and I have this growing desire to live for You. Oh, God, I pray that my life brings You honor... through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment