Saturday, October 1: Psalm 129- Victory in Jesus.

 “They have greatly oppressed me from my youth,” let Israel say; “they have greatly oppressed me from my youth, but they have not gained the victory over me (1-2).

I was touched by the final clause of verse 2: but they have not gained the victory over me.

Marching to Jerusalem the pilgrims sing this Psalm. Among the praise and adulation of the Lord, this Psalm rings a different tune.

Life doesn’t always go the way we hope. Some people seem to think that the blessing of God means a cushy life. This Psalm sings of God’s blessing during the tough times of life. Whether brought on by our own sin or the sin or others or some combination of the two, ‘stuff happens’. And the pilgrims marching to Jerusalem were not afraid to sing so. But this song is anything but defeatist. ‘Stuff happens’ but the stuff doesn’t have to define us or derail us. Oh, the ‘stuff’, it might change the direction or trajectory of our life, but ‘stuff’ doesn’t have to ruin our lives.

Again the pilgrims sing, but they have not gained the victory over me!  Halleluiah!!

Corrie Ten Boom, Joni Eareckson Tada, Chuck Colson, endured and suffered much, but they lived on into the victory of Jesus. The 12 apostles all faced trials and even execution, but they live on into the victory of Jesus.

Walking with Jesus means holding on during the tough days and finding victory, thanks be to Jesus.

I sat and thought about the tough days the Lord has brought me through. Truth is I am a more mature Christ-follower because God showed Himself faithful during those tough times and I am forever grateful to the Lord.

As I live today, the day before the Lord’s Day and worship with the saints tomorrow, I am filling my thoughts with reminders that God has always been there and any victory I have gained is thanks to God and God alone.

Father, Son and Holy Spirit… thank You for carrying me when I am tired, weak and hurting. Thank You for consoling me when I am broken. Thank You for breathing life into me when I felt dead inside. Thank You for always being there with and for me. I don’t deserve this wonder and love and yet You lavish it upon me. Praise be to You, Lord God. Amen and Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment