Friday, January 12: 1Chronicles 11 - Things have changed but then again they haven't.

The account of the Chronicler seems to come to life now that David enters the picture. The text breathes with life, David is on the throne!

A glimpse of the times comes as the chapter unfolds and we read the list of David’s mighty men and some of their exploits.

David’s was a time of war and battle and enemies round about, so having a capable army and guard was imperative for establishing his kingdom.

Presidents and world leaders today still need their guard and army to secure their position. I guess some things never change.

My mind shifts to the church and the kingdom of God… we no longer need armies and guards. In fact when the church had them, like during the crusades, we got off track from God’s mandate to reach the world with the message of Jesus.

As I think about the church and advancing God’s kingdom, there remains a need for guards and an army. However, it is not of soldiers with military weapons, instead it is intercessors with the weapons of prayer and the gifts of the Spirit waging the spiritual battle against the invisible forces of evil in the world. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms (Ephesians 6:12). Additionally, the word says, For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds (2Corinthians 10:3-4).

I am so thankful for the people who are intercessors praying for me and the ministry the Lord has graced me to have. They are my silent guard. Their prayers and discernment have protected me and saved me from many troubles.

I hope and pray that you have an army of intercessors –your mighty men and women –too.

And if you have the calling of intercession I encourage you to put your gift in play for the leader(s) of your fellowship.

Lord, thank you for the mighty women and men of prayer. Please, Lord, keep them strong and their prayers laser guided to accomplish the purposes You have for them. I pray this selfishly for those who intercede for me and more generally for those who intercede for all Your leaders. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment