Monday, January 22: 1Chronicles 19- Jumping to conclusions.

 

How often we jump to conclusions. We interpret a situation wrongly, don’t check the facts and create a mess. Hanun and his leaders made a colossal mess because they jumped to conclusion.

In the course of time, Nahash king of the Ammonites died, and his son succeeded him as king. David thought, “I will show kindness to Hanun, son of Nahash, because his father showed kindness to me.” So David sent a delegation to express his sympathy to Hanun concerning his father. When David’s envoys came to Hanun in the land of the Ammonites to express sympathy to him, the Ammonite commanders said to Hanun, “Do you think David is honoring your father by sending envoys to you to express sympathy? Haven’t his envoys come to you only to explore and spy out the country and overthrow it?” So Hanun seized David’s envoys, shaved them, cut off their garments at the buttocks, and sent them away (1-4).

Our wounding, insecurities and ‘the like’ push us toward bad decisions. I have seen it over and over.

Once prior to an elder meeting, one elder told me he had to leave by 8:00pm at the latest. In the 20 minutes leading up to 8, we were in a deep discussion regarding a particular situation and the elder who spoke to me was the major voice on one side of the discussion. It was pretty obvious to me, as moderator, that this elder’s opinion was NOT carrying the day. At 8 sharp he grabbed his papers got up and left. The room was silent; everyone thought he was storming out because he was ‘losing’ the discussion. I could feel the tension in the room. Fortunately I was able to explain that he had told me he had to leave by 8 and his leaving had nothing to do with the preceding discussion. This situation would have been disastrous for the elders had I not been informed prior to the meeting.

Jumping to conclusions creates huge problems…

I am reminded about how David often spoke with the Lord before he sent men into battle or made a major decision. How wise this is… seeking the Lord’s perspective can save us some the pitfalls of jumping to conclusion. God knows what’s going on and He can direct us to wise decisions rather than rash ill-informed ones.

Many soldiers died because Hanun jumped to a conclusion and started a war. Had he known the Lord and was willing to seek the Lord’s advice, this senseless battle could have been averted.

History is history, I cannot change what happened. However, I can learn from his mistake and follow the example of David and seek the Lord and then obey His leading…

So can you, if you know Jesus because if we are Christ-followers then the Lord will lead and guide us toward what is right and true… if we will listen and obey.

Oh, Lord, tune my ears to hear Your voice and adjust my heart to want to obey You. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment