Wednesday, January 31: 1Chronicles 27- Beware of minimizing sin.

The writer of Chronicles certainly looks past David’s greatest failures. There isn’t even a hint of the Bathsheba incident. Today in this chapter the counting of the fighting force towards the end of David’s life is mentioned in passing with little responsibility placed upon David.  David did not take the number of the men twenty years old or less, because the LORD had promised to make Israel as numerous as the stars in the sky. Joab son of Zeruiah began to count the men but did not finish. God’s wrath came on Israel on account of this numbering, and the number was not entered in the book of the annals of King David (23-24).

The account differs significantly from 2Samuel 24. Historians routinely record what is important from their perspective and I don’t want to discuss the perspective differences between the book of Samuel and Chronicles. However, considering these 2 retellings did spark devotional thoughts about minimizing sin.

When it comes to my walk with the Lord, mentally minimizing the severity and extent of my sin creates a barrier between the Lord and me. I can’t speak for others, but as far back as I can remember, I have a bent for minimizing my wrongs. Coupled with this I have a strong tendency to blame others for my errors. I have never figured out where this comes from, but knowing its origins within me is far less important than recognizing it when it surfaces in my life. It is not relationally or spiritually healthy for me to blame others and minimize my role in my sin!

Through my reading this morning, the Lord is reminding me a well-ingrained sin patter that I need to be vigilant in guarding my heart against…

How has the Lord spoken to you in this morning’s reading???

Lord, give me eyes to see myself clearly. Allow me to have spiritual corrective lens to compensate for my human failings. Help me to see myself for who I truly am which, Lord, will help me to appreciate Your grace and love and mercy more deeply. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment