Thursday, January 18: 1Chronicles 16- Remembering your past.

I was touched by David’s gift of food for each adult who was at the celebration. How generous and caring. Then he gave a loaf of bread, a cake of dates and a cake of raisins to each Israelite man and woman (3). I was trying to imagine a national celebration where as people leave each one is given a dinner meal! Extraordinary generosity.

I decided to read about this event. Apparently David and Solomon were the only kings to bless everyday people in this way. There is even a discussion about the meaning of the words translated by the NIV as ‘cake of dates.’ Apparently it can be translated ‘portion of meat.’ If this is so then David’s gift is truly extraordinary because meat was an uncommon rarity for people in those days.

Either way, this it gives me a glimpse into David’s heart. He was a common man before becoming king and he apparently never forgot his roots. That is a striking thought for me.

As life progresses, many of us find ourselves in better positions later in life and it is easy to forget what our leaner times were like. David channeled his remembering into generosity. I love that. In fact it is sparking me to pray…

Lord, increase my generosity. You have blessed me, Lord, in so many ways, health, family, even materially. May I never lose sight of the truth that everything I have is a gift from You. God, may I have the grace to enjoy Your gifts but also to generously share with others who have needs. Oh, Lord, increase my generosity. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment