Monday, January 15: 1Chronicles 13- God guards His honor .

The story of Uzzah is troubling and enlightening. Certainly Uzzah should have known better than to touch the Ark. Not only that but he should have know better than to have it travel on an ox cart. The ark was to be carried by long poles. That’s how it traveled for all those years in the wilderness. Israel lost sight of the Word; in their zeal to do something wonderful –bring the Ark into the city of Jerusalem –they looked past God’s Word and did things ‘their’ way. Uzzah, as priest, was complicit in all this. He ended up violating God’s holiness and honor by touching the ark. When they came to the threshing floor of Kidon, Uzzah reached out his hand to steady the ark, because the oxen stumbled. The LORD’s anger burned against Uzzah, and he struck him down because he had put his hand on the ark. So he died there before God (9-10). God instantly struck Uzzah with His wrath.

I am trouble by God’s exacting punishment… but I surrender to God’s Will. God decides, not me. One thing I cannot do is say God is unjust; He is not. This is a just punishment for Uzzah’s sin. But it is so rare that God judges instantly. I think this is why I am so surprised and troubled. Uzzah’s story is akin to Ananias and Sapphire’s account in Acts 5.

As I consider Uzzah’s story, I am reminded not to mess with God’s honor. The Ark was the ‘seat’ of God on earth, to dishonor it was to dishonor the Lord God. God guards His honor. This provides a lesson for me. Do not undermine the Lord’s honor and don’t defame what is His.

What is the equivalent today of the Ark in David’s day. Hmmm, I guess the closest thing would be the church, the temple of God. When we defame the church –God’s people –we are messing with the presence of God on earth. And we risk His wrath.

I have to allow this thought to germinate more.

Father, I honor You by honoring Your people. May I do that… honoring Your people by honoring Your Word and treasuring You, Jesus, and the Spirit. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment