Saturday, January 6: - 1Chronicles 6.

Levites held a special place in the community of Israel. They were the keepers of the temple and its rituals. Priests, musicians, temple servants, this was their calling and their inheritance from the Lord. As such they received some particular cities spread throughout Israel, but they didn’t receive a specific territory, because temple service was their inheritance.

Essentially this chapter delineates the Levites. The first part of the chapter is a list of names, a genealogy of the various Levite branches, with virtually no comment. The last portion of the chapter details the towns given to the Levites.

In terms of inspiration, it is a duty read for me.

However for people recalling their heritage during a time of national exile and crisis, I can understand the importance of listing the families important to the maintenance of their religious practices, because upon their return to their land the ritual life of Israel will have to be reestablished.

How hard it must be to maintain your religious identity when you cannot take part in the necessary rituals and sacrifices.

I am so blessed that that is not an issue for those of us in Christ. First Jesus has promised to be with us to the very end of the age (See Matthew 28:20). Also faith in Jesus, though aided by rituals and celebrations handed down throughout the centuries, is not dependent upon any particular ritual performed by a particular class or clan of people. Spiritual connection and spiritual depth can be found in any place or time because God lives in those who follow Jesus. The Holy Spirit is given to all who are disciples of Jesus (Romans 8:x, Ephesians 1:x).

What a blessing, what a gift.

As I sit on the eve of worship I look forward to my time with my church family tomorrow, but I know that if I were separated from them I would not be separated from the Lord because He is with me and His Spirit is in me. Alleluia.

Lord, what a blessing and joy it is to be Your son. I melt into Your arms right now and praise you for the love, care and presence You provide to me, every moment of every day.

I know I don’t always recognize Your care and presence, but it is there and I am grateful.

Praise be to You –Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit. Amen and amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment