Tuesday, January 16: 1Chronicles 14- My sheep know my voice.

I am encouraged by David’s desire to receive the Lord’s guidance coupled with his ability to hear and follow the Lord when He speaks. It is clearest in his attacks against the Philistines.

So David inquired of God: “Shall I go and attack the Philistines? Will you deliver them into my hands?” The LORD answered him, “Go, I will deliver them into your hands.”

Once more the Philistines raided the valley; so David inquired of God again, and God answered him, “Do not go directly after them, but circle around them and attack them in front of the poplar trees. As soon as you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the poplar trees, move out to battle, because that will mean God has gone out in front of you to strike the Philistine army.” So David did as God commanded him, and they struck down the Philistine army, all the way from Gibeon to Gezer (10,13-16).

One thing I love is that this is so much more than a yes/no response from the Lord that David could have gotten from the Urim and Thummim. The nature of David’s connection to the Lord is particularly visible in the second battle where David is told to circle behind and to wait for a specific sound.  This suggests an intimacy of connection that I find encouraging.

God speaks… this is the first thing the Lord reminds me of this morning. I notice, too, that the Lord can give specific directions when needed.

The Lord is not some distant God disconnected with our lives. He is there for us!  He will lead and guide us… really lead and guide us!

I don’t know that I have had this level of specific direction from the Lord. I have much to learn and grow but I have been blessed over and over in my life with the strong sense of God’s leading. I have never heard an audible voice from God. I don’t know that David heard one either but David was sure of God’s leading and I have been sure of God’s leading as well.

Everyone who follows Jesus has access to the Lord for direction and guidance! As Jesus says, My sheep know my voice… (John 10:27).

Oh, Lord, I am so grateful that You speak and lead. Teach me the art of listening and create in me an ever deepening desire to hear from You, Lord. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment